Paper identification must be current or issued within five years.  Acceptable forms of ID include:

  1. An ID card  or Driver License issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles
  2. A U.S. passport
  3. An inmate identification card issued by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, if the inmate is in custody in California state prison.
  4. Any form of inmate identification issued by a sheriff’s department, if the inmate is in custody in a local detention facility.
  5. Other CA approved ID must contain ALL of the following: 
  6. Ÿ  *  Photograph
    Ÿ  *  Description of the person
    Ÿ  *  Signature of the person
    Ÿ  *  Identifying number

Allowable forms of ID under option 5 above:

a) A valid consular identification document issued by a consulate from the applicant’s country of citizenship, or a valid passport from the applicant’s country of citizenship;

b) A driver's license issued by another state or by a Canadian or Mexicanpublic agency authorized to issue driver's licenses;

c) An identification cardissued by another state;

d) AU.S. military identification card with the required photograph, description of the person, signature of the person, and an identifying number.  (Some military ID cards do not contain all the required information);

e) An employee identification cardissued by an agency or office of the State of California, or an agency of a city, county, or city and county in California.

f) An identification card issued by a federally recognized tribal government.